Scripting Best Practices
For whom: Admin, Developer
Duration: 3 days
Price: 6.990 PLN net
Expert ServiceNow Trainings
Schedule your expert training
Scripting Best Practices training will make your coding more efficient, error-proof, and understandable for others. You will be able to avoid many headaches caused by platform-specific bottlenecks. Best practices presented here are based on our experience gained during 10 years of work – they are not 100% universal and may not fit your business 100%, but will greatly improve the quality of your work.
- Overview of developer UI elements – Application picker, Update set picker,
- Working with update sets – Maintaining proper order during releases,
- Scope or “Legacy” – which is better in what situations? Pros and cons of both APIs,
- Working in Studio (global, scoped and mobile applications),
- Best practices for tables and columns:
- Namespaces and prefixes,
- Avoiding problems with update sets.
- Organising code – working with Script Includes and UI Scripts,
- Client-side scripting:
- No / low code approach,
- Ensuring unique names,
- Running server logic from client-side,
- Synchronous or asynchronous – where and why / How to go asynchronous in onSubmit,
- Avoiding direct HTML modifications.
- Server-side scripting:
- GlideRecord and GlideAggregate APIs,
- Validations – Why they should be done server-side,
- Business rules – specific type of server-running logic,
- Context of “current” record,
- Passing data from and to client side – JS type conversion,
- Scripitng in ACLs.
- Creating UI elements with Jelly,
- Scripting in workflows:
- Calling server code,
- Defining own activities,
- Subflows and passing data between parent and child.
- Events and notifications
- Multi-language environment (working with internazionalisation),
- JS log, Field watcher and JS Executor,
- System logs – types and levels,
- Built in Script Debugger.
- Tools to make working with ServiceNow easier:
- ServiceNow Utils – useful browser plugin for Chrome and Firefox,
- Xplore – better way to debug,
- VS Code integration – official ServiceNow plugin.